Born in 1952, in Pont-à-Celles (where he still lives), aged 15 and a half, JFCharles entered the Academy of Fine Arts in Brussels in "life models" and "engraving". He soon met Maryse who became his partner and co-writer.
Alongside a large number of comic strips, JFCharles is gradually developing a pictorial work as a result of the decision to create the covers of the Pionniers in oil paint.
He is greatly inspired by large spaces and the Indian world before being attracted by the Orient and Orientalist painting from the late 19th century.
In the 2000s, Jean-François Charles changed to direct colour, and began to paint "directly" on his original plates.
- JF Charles is a Knight of the Order of Arts and Letters
- The album Le Bal du Rat Mort won the Prix Spatial in 1980 and the Prix Saint-Michel for the best comic book and the Prix Oscar Désiré Vandemuyzewinkel in 1981.
- Les Pionniers du Nouveau Monde received the Grand Prix Spatial de la Francité for Le Pilori (T1) and an award at the Comic Book and Cartoon Festival of Illzach for La Mort du loup (T6).
- 1993: Grand Prix in Courtrai for Fox;
- 1995: Golden Pencil at the Comic Book Festival of Middelkerke;
- 1999: Bulle d’Or at the Festival of Brignais;
- 2012: Grand Prix Saint-Michel for the entire collection of his work.
- 2014: The Prix Ramonbulles